Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Back to the Civilized World

After a lengthy absence (just in time to give Lake something to do during the work day other than work), we are pleased to report that we FINALLY have internet access in our house. We will try our best to pick up where we left off and catch up quickly.

This post is about our time between Charlottesville and Salt Lake. We stopped in St. George to visit the Hansen family for a few days. Every time we go, my dad has to take Rich out on various hiking/rappelling trips and four-wheeling rides. During this visit, he did both. The hiking/rappelling took place in a slot canyon called Pine Creek (Zion Nat'l Park). On the last rappel, one of the girls in their group had an unfortunate incident that ended with her dad having to cut one side of her hair off all the way to the scalp (note to anyone desiring to go rappelling: don't wear piggy tails when your hair is long and thick, one of them might get caught in the rope) . For once, Rich was grateful for his short hair.



The day after Pine Creek, my dad took Rich on an all day four-wheel ride in Grande Staircase- Escalante National Monument. Somehow he was able to survive swarms of biting flies the size of helicopters, triple digit temps, and insufficient sunsceen application.

More battle wounds to flaunt.

3 comments:

Kimberly Porter said...

Welcome back! I'm glad your internet is up and working. I know Rich had a rough trip, but I'm still jealous. I LOVE Escalante! It's one of my favorite places.

Elysa said...

So glad Nelter Skelter is up and running again! It's a good thing Rich ditched the pony tail a few years back or Papa Hansen could have used the repeling trip as an excuse to give him a close shave!!

Deya Love said...

I had no idea ya'll led such dangerous lives! I was going to wear piggie tails tomorrow, but now I'm scared.