Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's 1 AM, Do you Know Where Your Child Is?

Let me tell you where mine is. He is in his own private tanning bed...sort of. On Monday, I took Matt to see the pediatrician. She noticed that his skin was looking a little too yellow, and ordered a blood test. As it turns out he has a touch of jaundice. This means that since 5 pm Monday, Matt has been undergoing phototherapy. He has to be under the lights constantly for at least two days. We take him out to feed and change him and then back in he goes. He also requires hourly temperature monitoring, this is especially adventurous in the middle of the night. We will be going in to test his blood again today to see if he has to continue, hopefully not. It kind of sucks not to be able to give "cuddlies" (as Abby calls them) to our newborn.
Getting ready to go in for the first time...

I think he kind of looks like Spiderman.


In the bed

Luckily, Matt has been really great through it all. What a trooper.

7 comments:

Amelia said...

Poor baby!
Abby looks very concerned! She must be a great big sister!

Kimberly Porter said...

I hated, HATED it when Josh had to be under the lamp. I was so worried about his little eyes and it was just so hard not to hold him like I wanted. I'm so sorry! Hopefully it won't last for too long. Take the time to get some extra rest. Waking up every hour must be painful.

Meg Rogers said...

Poor little Matt! Henry had jaundice too, but luckily we dodged the lamp bullet. We will cross our fingers that two days is all it will take, that is no fun.

Elysa said...

Well at least you already have a Halloween costume ready to go. Go Spidey Go!

Emily said...

Oh, it is so sad! Matt is a trooper, but I also think you guys must be troopers too. I would be a blubbering ball of tears, especially after just giving birth! Hang in there, it will be over soon.

Naomi said...

Maybe he will get "Spidey-powers" from the fun getup.
I'm sorry that you are having to go through it and miss your cuddles. I hope that he is recovering and out of the tanning beds soon.
Our prayers are with y'all. Love ya.

Katie said...

It is never fun to see little ones not feeling good! However, he is so beautiful and we are so excited for you guys! Congratulations on your new son! I'm sure Rich will have him crunching numbers in no time. :)